Workshop Registration Options
Have you been thinking about becoming a Beekeeper but unsure whether you’re ready to make the full commitment?
Or perhaps you’ve already bought some beekeeping equipment, maybe even got your bees, but are looking to advance your knowledge and confidence in Beekeeping while having a truly unique experience.
Whatever the case, this one day workshop is for you!
When you join us at the beautiful Rivers of Yarrambat for one of our Beginner Beekeeping Workshops, you’ll gain all the essential knowledge and tips about becoming a confident backyard hobbyist beekeeper.
- Best practices and essential know-how as a Beekeeper
- The different types of bees and the inner workings of a hive
- The essential equipment and supplies you’ll need to have on hand if you decide to take up beekeeping at home
- The different types of hives you can choose from including a practical demonstration of a FlowHive versus a traditional Langstroth Hive
- Selecting and setting up and ideal location for your hive
- Mastering a hive inspection - what to look for, frequency of inspections, and record keeping.
- How to maintain a healthy hive including bee biosecurity and protecting honey bees from established and exotic pests.
- How to harvest raw honey from your hive
- Seasonal considerations
- Plus much more!
And the best part? You’ll also get to jump into a Bee Suit and participate in a hive inspection, the installation of a nucleus hive AND observe a Flow Hive honey harvest!
But there’s a catch...spaces are strictly limited to 30 people per workshop so it’s highly recommended you book well in advance to ensure you don't miss out on this amazing hands on experience.
- 8:30 am - Welcome and complimentary coffee
- 9am-11 am - Beginner Beekeeping Foundation Knowledge
- 11am-11:45 am - Complimentary Lunch provided
- 11:45 - 2 pm - The Group will be split into 2 smaller groups for hands-on Practical Sessions including:
- Working the Hives: Suiting up and doing Hive Inspections, FlowHive Honey Harvest and setting up a new Hive from a 5 Frame Nucleus Colony
- Common Beekeeping Activities: Harvesting Honey with an extractor versus Crush & Strain, Hive Comparisons: Flow Hive Versus other Langstroth style hives, Feeding Bees, Seasonal Preparations
The workshop will conclude at approximately 2pm with a refreshing Honey Tonic!
$265 for singles
$450 for couples (save $80!)
Sunday 3rd October 2021 8:30am - 2:30pm
Rivers of Yarrambat 28 Kurrak Rd, Yarrambat VIC 3091 (26km North-East of Melbourne CBD)
WHAT WE'LL PROVIDE
• 6 Hour Beginner Beekeeping Workshop
• Tea/Coffee in the morning
• Refreshing Honey Tonics, Scones Jam and Cream
• Rental of Bee Suit, Gloves & Garters (if required)
• Small Showbag to take home
Added Bonus (10% Flow Hive Discount):
One of the benefits of attending this event is that, as we are a Flow Certified Ambassador, attendees of the event have the opportunity to receive a 10% Discount on their Flow Hive for qualifying purchases. Please contact us for more details if you are thinking of buying a Flow Hive. (Terms & Conditions Apply)
About your Instructors
Nathan Stewart started out as a backyard urban Beekeeper. His passion for Beekeeping quickly grew and he now has 7 separate apiaries with around 40-50 hives and several businesses built around Beekeeping.
Over almost 10 years in Beekeeping, Nathan has trained hundreds of Beginner Beekeepers to become a confident beekeeper fast.
Beekeeping is more than just a hobby gone wild, it's a passion. For Nathan, Beekeeping puts him more in touch with nature, his local community and genuinely helps him to de-stress and be a happier version of himself.
Here is a few of Nathan’s recent Beekeeping Mentoring Clients discussing their experiences getting into Beekeeping with Nathan by their side:
Meet Caroline Hammond from ‘Come Fly With Me Beekeeping’ in the West Gippsland region. Caroline is a highly experienced beekeeper and we are delighted to have her as our second Instructor and Onsite Beekeeping Mentor.
As a full-time Beekeeper, her main focus is mentoring new beginner beekeepers and helping them find their wings in this fascinating hobby. Through her personable techniques of teaching, she aims to empower confidence and understanding in people around her who are willing to give things a go.
To compliment her mentoring, she also has around 30 honey production hives across the West Gippsland region. She is a generous spirit that genuinely seeks to be of service and share her wealth of knowledge in Beekeeping.
Scott shares two years of beekeeping experiences in Hurstbridge Victoria Australia. He discusses why he recommends beginner beekeepers buy a nucleus of bees over catching swarms and as a Carpenter and Furniture maker, he decorated his Langstroth Hive and built a 32 frame Horizontal Langstroth in his workshop.
Hear Mick Wilmott, discussing his experience in getting into beekeeping on a Rooftop Terrace in the centre of Melbourne's CBD.
See how Urban Rooftop Beekeeping is not only possible but has had a positive impact on our ecosystem.
Krissy is a Backyard Beekeeper, based in Wallan, Victoria Australia. She has enjoyed working with Nathan Stewart and Beekeeping Apprentice as she built her confidence, setup her flow hive, installed a strong colony of bees and harvested loads of honey all in her first year of beekeeping!
Food & Drinks included...
Tea / Coffee / Chai / Hot Chocolate
Lunch (3 Options)
-Signature Posh Cheese with avocado and tomato/capsicum relish
-Homemade Quiche with salad and chips
-Gourmet Beef Burgundy Pie with garden salad and chips
Honey Tonics with scones, jam and cream
Because we run these popular Beekeeping Courses in the busiest part of the beekeeping season just twice a year, places are genuinely limited. Bookings in advance are essential.
We look forward to sharing with you our experience and helping you get started in beekeeping confidently as a backyard or beginner beekeeper.Select Date & Register Now